Monday, July 13, 2009

How Does the Garden Grow?



How Does Your Garden Grow?

It stretches,
grabbing air,
the fence,
the stakes set for climbing.
Green tomato shoots,
a laughter of lettuce,
and one exuberant pumpkin vine.
The corn points,
broccoli flowers,
and peppers balloon in unison.
A party of blossoms ready to fruit.




And I've been in that place (places?) where words seem to have lost their importance. The just living place, wandering from task to task without taking time to reflect.

I'm amazed in novels that the protagonists are always so thoughtful about the whys of their behavior and conversation and wonder if I am the only one stumbling through life mostly guessing at the how-comes after the fact. A garden commands attention, but lacks the alternative motivations of people.



Michael says, taking close ups of the peppers only makes them feel self conscious.

Last night I realized that I have an extra week in July. A no travel week. Popped up on the calendar like a rogue seed. A week to watch the garden, walk the dogs and (maybe, if I can get my brain creaking) a week to put some words on paper. Turn the sunshine into something to chew on.

4 comments:

Lee Ann Spillane said...

The garden looks gorgeous. Wish I were there to raid it!

hugs from me,
las

Sparroweye said...

I love how much you get in that small space. Very organized. No gardening in Florida in July. Early spring or Fall here. Nothing lives past June except marigolds and lantana. Maybe I need to live in Ohio. Oh wait, I did. My first year of marriage outside of Dayton. A bit too much snow for my yankee husband but I loved it being a Florida girl.

Neil Gandal said...

Hi Sara,

I tried to find an email for you
without success, so I am writing via your blog.

We met several weeks ago at the
Buckeye Book Fair. you mentioned that you knew the librarian at the
American Intl. School in Israel.
If possible, I would like to receive her contact information.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Happy New Year!

Neil Gandal
(Author of coming Up Short: A Cleveland Sports Odyssey)

sara holbrook said...

Neil,

Hi there. I'm happy to send you her email, but I don't want to post it here and you did not send me your email. If you go to my website at sara@saraholbrook.com and click on the email sara button it will take you to sara@saraholbrook.com. talk to you soon, sara.